Ability to remove attachments from the ShareFile Attachments list within an email

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
When using the ShareFile Outlook Plugin tool, after selecting a number of attachments to send in an email they are displayed in a table format titled ShareFile Attachments.Currently this table is only able to be added to, you can't remove an attachment from the list. The only way is to exit the email and start again. It would be very useful if there was a way to remove/delete from the ShareFile Attachment list without having to re-create the email.
Photo of Rob Walsh

Rob Walsh

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • thank ful

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson, Product Manager

• 353 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Hi Rob,

As you have noticed, today the file names in the banner are just text and the banner dynamically changes based on when files are added.  We have kicked around some ideas internally on how best to address your issue in the future but nothing is finalized yet.  There is also no current time frame on when you would be able to remove attachments from within the banner or the Outlook Plug-in itself.

If and when we have some concrete options I will make sure to reach out to you because I would like to gather your feedback. 

Regards,
ChrisA
Photo of Eilis

Eilis

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

We are having this problem too. Is there any updates to this?

Thanks
Eilis
Photo of Jeremy Russell

Jeremy Russell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes this would be a nice feature to have, why can't the plug-in wait until you hit send and then it converts attachments to the sharefile table, I don't see why this is a hard fix. It'd be similar to a prompt on lack of an email subject line or spell check? I'm not a coder but sounds like this is a no-brainer. Thanks if this is updated or let us know.
Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Escalation Engineer

• 163 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Jeremy,

We do still have this feature improvement on our to do list and are actively investigating the best way to handle it. Thank you very much for reaching out about it!

Currently, the way I typically attach files using the ShareFile Outlook plugin is by using the regular Outlook "Attach File" button or by dragging and dropping in to the email. Then once I have all the files I want I press the ShareFile "Convert Attachments" button. This way I can ensure I have the correct files prior to generating a ShareFile banner.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!
Photo of Sam Sampoux

Sam Sampoux

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Waiting to convert only works with small files. I often send 300Mb files, which doesn't allow this technique to work.
Photo of Kevin Glenn

• 163 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Sam,

I certainly understand your concerns. Attaching larger files can be a bit more tricky as you'll likely reach your exchange servers maximum limit which unfortunately we have no control over. 

Internet email accounts typically have a 20 MB default max and MS Exchange server email accounts typically have a 10 MB default max. Your Exchange server administrator should be able to adjust this within the Transport Settings Properties.

More detailed information on those limits can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2813269
Photo of Sam Sampoux

Sam Sampoux

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree as well. This is a must-have basic feature.
Photo of Jeremy Russell

Jeremy Russell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Kevin for the feedback, i just build a temp send file and then drag and drop when i am done done. Sometimes i take time with my email building and of course the only reason why we use this is to help with large file sizes, so the only time it's a problem is when we got big file transfers.  But i'll try the attach a file function through outlook.
Photo of Aurelien De Canck

Aurelien De Canck

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi everybody, i also do agree with Sam that it should be part of the default tool features. It has been raised quickly in our pilot phase and it totally makes sense. On our side, as we have enforced the plugin to automatically convert standard attachments  to Sharefile, we cannot make use of the workaround that is proposed. Hope to see this feature in a soon release :)

Photo of Sandra Knox

Sandra Knox

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just to add we have been using the enforced encryption as well for about a year and a half, and a detach feature is something we would really like to see.
Photo of Michael Walsh

Michael Walsh

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We would also like this feature. Weird that it's not possible.

Workaround appears to be compose the email first, with all the attachments; make sure it's correct; and then use the Encryption button to encrypt the whole thing.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Walsh

Michael Walsh

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hmm...user complains that using the workaround above has his email automatically converting themselves to an Encrypted Sharefile messages. Any idea why?
Photo of Kevin Glenn

• 163 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Michael,

The ShareFile Outlook Plugin has a setting to automatically convert attachments at all times, only over a certain file size, or only when selected. You may change this setting by clicking the ShareFile Options button on the ribbon of your main Outlook window.
Photo of Pierre Chamberland

Pierre Chamberland

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Detach is a feature of NetGovern's Mail integration tools: https://www.netmail.com/software/detach