Allow Users to Upgrade Citrix Files Without Admin Rights

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
We have resisted converting from DriveMapper to Citrix Files because of 1) Citrix File's aggressive prompts for upgrades combined with 2) the inability of users to upgrade without having admin privileges on the workstation.  Now that we are being forced to move to Citrix Files, we request the ability for users to upgrade their own Citrix Files utility without needing admin privileges.  This is certainly possible as other software (Symantec Endpoint Protection, for example), allows the software to upgrade itself without admin approval, usually in conjunction with a reboot.

Simply, it is not reasonable for administrators of a non-domain environment to have to touch every machine every time an incremental upgrade is released.

We have recently learned of a group policy modification that seems to eliminate the pop-ups for new version availability but feel that it would be better if users could always have the most up-to-date version of Citrix Files.  However, with a user base of our size, having to manually upgrade every workstation equates to a day's worth of work with each new release.
Photo of ShareFile Admin VA

ShareFile Admin VA

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Christopher Jutting

Christopher Jutting

• 23 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Why not disable auto updates from the group policy then deploy the new versions with a startup script on the computer group policy? Thats what ive done and it works well. Not idea but it works.

ShareFile Admin VA

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sounds intriguing.  Would you mind explaining the policy/sharing the script?
Photo of Christopher Jutting

Christopher Jutting

• 23 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Sure, I installed the latest Citrix Files group policy templates, and in the group policy I disabled auto-update. This is located in Computer Configuration/Policies/Admin Templates/Citrix Files/Enable Auto-Update. Set it to disabled.

Then in the same policy, under Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Scripts/Startup I added a simple batch file I created that calls the citrix files executable. In order to prevent having to update the script for each release, since the file name includes the release version, I just name it CitrixFilesForWindows-Latest.exe.  You can use this simple command to run the installer silently on startup.

\\Network\Path\To\Installer\CitrixFilesForWindows-Latest.exe /install /quiet /norestart

ShareFile Admin VA

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for sharing this.  Won't work for us because the workstations are at different locations with no access to a network drive to store the installer file.