App-specific password problem

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I have enabled two-step verification and can no longer use FileZilla.  Although I can generate an app-specific password, if I try to use this in FileZilla, it says "530 Username/password not accepted..."

Also I can't find anywhere in the web interface that lists all the app-specific passwords generated.
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 27 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 444 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi Ben,

App-specific passwords are generated on the fly with the two-factor authentication.  When using it in FileZilla, make sure you take out all the spaces (paste it somewhere else).  I would recommend generating a new password when trying again.

-Leo
Photo of Adam Martin

Adam Martin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This doesn't work.  Got any other ideas?
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 27 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Leo,

Sorry, I missed your reply as I don't think I received a notification of it.

Anyway, I have tried generating a new app-specific password, and copied to notepad to delete the spaces before pasting in FileZilla, but FZ still gives the 530 error.

Ben
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 27 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
As an experiment, I tried using a generated password in an incognito browser window and it didn't work (with or without the spaces) - but this should have worked, I think.

Incidentally, if the password is only valid with the spaces deleted, why does 'copy to clipboard' copy the password including spaces?

Ben
Photo of Adam Martin

Adam Martin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having this same problem. The ridiculous supposed workaround does not work @Leo "Official Rep". What is the actual fix for this problem?

Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 432 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Hi Adam, 

This "ridiculous workaround" applied to a different problem over a year ago.  The current issue is different.  You will need to either log in with the full login instead of the short username or turn off two step verification.

-Leo
(Edited)
Photo of Adam Martin

Adam Martin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the followup Leo...I got a response from the helpdesk stating that there is a fixed bug that will be deployed sometime in the near future.  No ETA.
Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 432 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
This is correct.  Unfortunately the fix itself has had to go through multiple unexpected hoops, so the best answer we can give you is "soon" instead of a date.  

-Leo
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 27 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Adam,

I think I gave up on using 2-factor with Filezilla initially (my question was posted 2 years ago), but I have just tried it again and it does seem to work with no special procedures.

I have FZ 3.45.1
Only FTP over TLS is allowed on our account.

FZ settings:
Host: our-subdomain.sharefileftp.com
Encryption: require implicit FTP over TLS
Logon Type: Normal
User: our-subdomain/my-user-email
Password: I logged in to SF via a browser, created an app-specific password and used the "copy to clipboard" button in the browser and pasted straight into FileZilla (no deleting spaces or anything).

I'm sure this didn't used to work, but it does seem to (for me at least) now.

Good luck!

Ben
(Edited)