Automatically check out/in document on open/close

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
Hi! I am working on a service that uses ShareFile with Citrix Files. Checking in and out documents is a great tool to make sure only one user has write access at a time. However the users of the service have no previous experience with ShareFile and will have to learn to manually check out the document every time they want to edit it. A much better user experience would be to automatically check out a document when it is opened and automatically check it in again on close. 

I have seen several others who would like the same feature on the forums, like here: https://community.sharefilesupport.com/citrixsharefile/topics/file-locking-in-sharefile

I really hope you consider adding this feature as it would be a substantial upgrade in usability of our (and many other) services. 
Photo of Markus Pike

Markus Pike

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Brian LeComte

Brian LeComte

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yes, yes, and yes!  
Photo of Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson, Product Manager

• 371 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Markus  / Brian - As we evaluate your requests, with respect to Citrix Files for Windows, would you both like to see this as something that can be enforced on your employees or a setting which each employee has access to enable / disable as they wish? 
(Edited)
Photo of Brian LeComte

Brian LeComte

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I believe that it is advantageous to allow it to be disabled.  My vote is the default behavior is on, the ORG can choose to turn on the setting that allows the individual to manipulate for themselves similar to other features.

Photo of Keith Moore

Keith Moore

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree with Brian, could use group policy to set default and allow/deny users to modify. This would be very useful to our company.
Photo of Markus Pike

Markus Pike

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree with Brian and Keith!