Check In/Out functionality of Sharefile

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress

Remembering that the purpose of this functionality should be geared to “lock” the document in a state that cannot be changed until the individual is done performing their updates. 

Areas of Improvement:

·         Checking Out a Document only provides a visual reference and does not “lock” the document.

·         Other users have the ability to upload a new version of the document regardless of if the document is checked out.

·         Admin users can dis-regard check out.  I think this is ok but making sure that assumption is also correct.

Photo of Izzy

Izzy

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Leia Stallings

Leia Stallings

• 69 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Izzy, we are getting ready to release an update that will address many of your concerns. In the next 1-2 weeks accounts will see updates to the current check in/check out functionality that includes blocking other users from uploading a new version when a file is checked out and also support in our sync tool to know when files are checked out. Thank you for your feedback and please let us know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Photo of Alistair Birch

Alistair Birch

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Guys,  Any news on this update as I am running a Sharefile trial and have the same issues as Izzy which may torpedo the project if we cant get a decent fix.  One other question - the default 'check out' time is 24 hours - can this be altered anywhere?

Alistair
Photo of Crystal Ricevuto

Crystal Ricevuto, Product Manager

• 114 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Izzy and Alistar,

Phase 2 of the Check-In/Check-Out feature has been released. This update supports a hard-lock on files to prevent users to re-upload files that are checked out. It also includes support for Check-In/Check-Out for ShareFile Sync for Windows and Mac.

I'm currently looking into whether we can change the default 24 hour check-out expiration.

• 114 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Alistair, we cannot change the 24 hour default check-out expiration at this time.
Photo of Ryan Manning

Ryan Manning

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How about 3 years later?  Is this still the case?
Photo of Emeka

Emeka

• 27 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Is there any documentation on Phase 2 of the Check-In/Check-Out feature? 

• 114 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Emeka,

You can find our full article on Check-In/Check-Out here: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/sharefile/help_files/SF060017?title=Check-In+Check-Out
Photo of Emeka

Emeka

• 27 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks, but that documentation doesn't include any information on the hard-lock feature.
Photo of Alistair Birch

Alistair Birch

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the link for us.  I have taken a look.  I still seem to have a couple of bits missing.  

Although the newest May 15 version of the Windows sync is installed I can't see in Windows the icon indicator to show a checked out document and also Right click - Sharefile - View checkout details is missing.

I am also finding that when I check out a document that my colleague can still edit it on her account via the iPad app.  Edit is missing when she goes via the web portal though she can upload a different version which we don't want.

So far I can't seem to see any of the new functionality in this update.  Am I missing something that needs to be switched on for our account?  

Alistair

• 114 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The article doesn't explicitly refer to it as the hard-lock feature but, it does explain that "While a file is checked out, it is read-only. You will receive an error message if you attempt to upload a file with the same filename." and "Note: Uploading a new version of the checked out file is not allowed."
(Edited)

• 114 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Alistair,

I enabled another setting on your account that should allow the View Checkout functionality. Please restart Sync and if you're still not seeing it, I encourage you to contact the ShareFile Support Team so they can do a screenshare with you to help troubleshoot the issue for you. If you're not seeing the overlay icons at all, there's some registry key changes we may need to make for you.

Check-In/Check-Out is not currently compatible with the iOS apps.
Photo of Emeka

Emeka

• 27 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Can you do the same for my account?

• 114 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
All set, Emeka.
Photo of Matthew Costabile

Matthew Costabile

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Good Day Citirx, I called into customer support and both technicians were unable to answer my question - similar to this 3-year old thread.  If I am using Sync on my workstation, is there any method by which I can prevent other users from Opening a file when it is checked out?
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi

• 192 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Checkout is a ‘write’ lock but would not prevent other users from opening and reading the same file.
(Edited)