Citrix files very slow

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
We currently run share file drive mapper and the new Citrix files. In the past month, navigating the file system and opening files has been excruciating slow.  I have call tech support and received no real help other that being told to use the web application instead of the app.
Our upload speed is around 28 mbps and download at 355 mbps
As of now is it to slow to be useful and my team is very frustrated.
Any advise or help on what to do next?
Photo of Kenny Donovan

Kenny Donovan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Christopher Jutting

Christopher Jutting

• 22 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
We've had those issues on and off and sharefile support has never been particularly helpful.
Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Escalation Engineer

• 161 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi All,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with Citrix Files and our Support team. There can be several reasons for general latency when navigating and opening files in our virtual drive applications such as Citrix Files for Win/Mac and Drive Mapper.

First I would highly recommend upgrading from Drive Mapper to the most recent version of Citrix Files. We recently (last week) released a new version of the tool which includes performance optimization improvements and we plan to continue increasing overall performance as time goes on.

Since these tools use a virtual drive and files are not stored locally that means that some of the biggest factors of general latency are: environment (network and local machine), number of items per folder level, complexity of folder access, and type of files. 

Some things to consider are:

Is it a local installation or a Virtual environment? Virtual environments often can't maintain a local cache of your folder structure which means all associated data needs to be pulled each and every time.

Is there Anti-Virus or backup software installed? This type of software may attempt to scan the virtual drive and trigger unwanted downloads causing additional delay.

Do folder structures have thousands of items at each folder level? The less items to load the faster the response will be. Additionally, more items directly translates in to additional time for Operating Systems to process the request.

Do users have extremely complex folder access? Additional time may be needed to calculate exactly which folders to display for each user if they only have access to very specific folders within a larger structure.

Do folders contain images? Windows will force a download of certain item types including images so Windows can display local thumbnails.

With all that said, these scenarios can definitely be investigated. Some latency may be expected based on the considerations above, however, we would love to investigate. Especially in the situation where none of the above are factors within your environment.

I've included a quick template below to help report these situations to our Support team:

Quick description: (example: took 15 seconds to load root of Shared Folders)
User Name: 
User Email: 
File Name: 
File Path: 
Approximate time/date: 
Log reference code: 
(User needs to submit logs from tool that performed upload of failing file - typically in the help menu of the tool)

Photo of LS

LS

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The slow-down got really bad yesterday afternoon and is still slow.  Despite the issues listed above as possible causes, I don't think a product should be this slow (it never was on the previous file sharing system that we used - and nothing has changed). We did the update to v4.5 last week for Citrix for Windows. Employees here are used to using the mapped drive (for years on the previous file sharing system and now this one), and should be able to use it efficiently, especially given that it's a product offered by Citrix.  If many customers are having this same issue, I would think the issue needs investigated.  Do we all need to open up support tickets?