Downgrading an Employee account to a Client account

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
My company doesn't need to provide full SharefFile access to our outside salepeople.  Until today I was able to create an Employee account and then downgrade to a client account on anyone regardless of whether the email being used was part of the same email domain or not.  It now seems we need to use up Employee licenses if the account is setup with an email using the company email domain (our preference).  So do we now need to purchase more Employee licenses to keep doing things the way we have been for the past three and a half years?
Photo of Ken Adamson

Ken Adamson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated.

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Joshua Morigeau

Joshua Morigeau

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

My understanding is that SF has gone to a stricter licensing policy. In our off boarding process we'd move the employee to client so that we could move the data except for encrypted emails. Encrypted emails in the HIPPA zone won't transfer. We used it to downgrade the employee but keep access to the encrypted emails for 30 days before we deleted the account.

Photo of Sophia Su

Sophia Su, Product Manager

• 187 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Yes, you will need to purchase additional employee licenses to use for your outside sales team.

This is the exact scenario that this recent change was implemented to address so I'm afraid that there is no flexibility to change it. 
Photo of Ronald de Reus

Ronald de Reus

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

One of the new 'features' of the new version unfortunately.

This release includes the following UI updates:

• To better enforce licensing, the ability to downgrade an Employee user with a company email domain to a client user has been removed.