feature request: drive mapper ability to "open in Sharefile.com"

• Idea
  • Updated 5 days ago
Drivemapper has been out for a while but it does give us issues from time to time and it would be nice if we could just right click in the Windows Explorer window, choose the Drive Mapper in the context menu, and then choose "Open in Sharefile.com". Then we could use the web application and move on with our work in spite of drivemapper's irregularities.

Sharefile Desktop already has this feature in the "More" section on the bottom right, and it is so convenient because it allows us to get to the web application already logged in. I think it would be nice to also have this in Drivemapper.
Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just wanted to clarify that this is not a complaint about drivemapper problems--it does have some problems but I realize that it is a challenging task to make sharefile appear as a native windows drive. The maturity of drivemapper was the primary reason we picked Sharefile over Box. For the most part drivemapper works well. It's just for those times when it does not, it would be nice to have a quick shortcut to get what I need from the web application with a minimum of hassle (right now I have to open up Sharefile Desktop and browse to that same directory).
Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
and by "Open in Sharefile.com" I mean open the directory, not a specific file.
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Employee

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Peter, 

Thanks for the feedback. We will look at adding this capability to Drive Mapper. 

On a related note, there is a new version of desktop app for Windows, called ShareFile for Windows, that allows accessing files in ShareFile directly from Explorer window similar to Drive Mapper.

This app also provides context menu option for "Open in ShareFile.com" as you asked in addition to  other options for Folder Permissions, Email with ShareFile, Request Files, Initiate Workflows etc. Its currently in Beta and we are working towards general availability. 

If you would like to be an early adopter please feel free to download and evaluate it from https://citrix.sharefile.com/d-s915d309e8c24701a

The knowledge center article can be referred for details: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228273

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi

PS:

As a side note, if you have a similar need on macOSX, there is a similar app for it too - ShareFile For Mac. The ShareFile for Mac Beta version can be downloaded from https://citrix.sharefile.com/d-s2bea5e67cbb4584a and the corresponding knowledge center article is here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX226351
Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for this reply. I installed Sharefile for Windows Beta and it is true that the software engineers at Citrix have already implemented my request even before I asked for it! I see that this will probably be the replacement for Drivemapper in the future.

I ran this side by side with Drivemapper and I found that Sharefile for Windows did not show a particular directory which I needed to browse to, and Drivemapper did. So I am not ready to switch yet, but hopefully soon when Sharefile for Windows is ready.
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Employee

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your feedback.

Would you mind submitting the logs (through dashboard help menu), and also provide information of folder that was not shown up. We are not aware of any scenario where ShareFile for Windows won’t show files/folders that the user has permission on. There appears to be a bug if this is happening.

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi
Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, I just submitted the logs and a support ticket referencing them.
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Employee

• 21 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Peter for the logs. While we could not reproduce the issue, we figured out the cause from the logs you submitted. The fix will be available in the next upgrade of the Beta targeted for March. Thanks again for reporting this.
Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'll look forward to the next release and give it a try.
Photo of Ross Bender

Ross Bender

• 34 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Is it expected that Sharefile for Windows/Mac will be replacing Drive Mapper in the future? I am curious to know what this looks like as we currently use Drive Mapper