Feature Request: Blocking file type extensions

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
It would be nice and more secure if we could block certain file type extensions from getting sent through Sharefile. We currently have another product that can do this and we block certain file types (.bas, .bin, .rdp, .ica, .cla, .cpl, .chm, .com, .hta, .lnk, .pif, .scr, .sct, .sis, .sys, .vb, .wmf, etc)
Photo of Ryan Winn

Ryan Winn

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mark Gironimi

Mark Gironimi

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I second this request. Blocking certain types of filenames and extensions is neccessary for corporate use, and keeps disk space under control. I know ShareFile Sync plug-in has this ability, but there should be a global setting that restricts it whether using the website or other plugins such as the Outlook plug-in.
Photo of Marques Deane

Marques Deane, Employee

• 93 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Mark, perhaps this could help:

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX235114
Photo of Ivan

Ivan

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi Mark, would this setting change need to be done on the server or on each workstation?

Also, how can we get a list of the Ramsome Ware file formats?

We are trying to find out all non-allowable file formats.
Photo of Lucas Parker

Lucas Parker

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I third this request, with the following additional comments:
1) Site-wide policy [over-ride any specific policies]
2) A default policy applies to any new top level folder or user
3) Specific policies (some folders may be allowed to receive .exe, .ica, etc.) - applicable to root level folders and users.
4) Group-to-policy mapping so any user who is a member of a group gets a specific policy. Being a member of many groups means you get the most restrictive policy (any specific blocks override allows)