How to make a public permanent download link to a file

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • (Edited)
Hi ,
I want to make permanent public links to a file. The link must stay the same even though the file I deleted and recreated or updated.

Can I do that?

Thanks.
Photo of Steen Jakobsen

Steen Jakobsen

• 51 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of jason MAMC

jason MAMC

• 80 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
have you tried using the link that can be generated by the drive mapper? I think that may work because I just use that and was alarmed that the link did not follow any security applied. Keep in mind the party will always have to download that which creates another question do you want them to upload or just download?
Photo of Steen Jakobsen

Steen Jakobsen

• 51 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks for your feedback. 
However - We are not using drive mapper.

What I'm looking for is a url to a file that I can put into links on our website so that people can download PDF files and software exe files.

There should be no confirmation webpage or anything. The file should just start to download whenever the link is clicked or the url is pasted into a browser.

Also it is very important that if the file is deleted and then later recreated in the same folder  then the link should still be valid.

This is extremely simple and basic - I know . Something you can do on any website host. I just can not figure out how to do it with sharefile :-)

any idea ?
Photo of jason MAMC

jason MAMC

• 80 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
oh sorry you answered my question in the subject line
Photo of Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson, Product Manager

• 342 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Whenever you create the link make sure that the settings for 'never expire' are checked and that 'always link to the latest version' is checked. More information can be found here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX208291
(Edited)
Photo of Steen Jakobsen

Steen Jakobsen

• 51 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your feedback. 

What I'm looking for is a url to a file that I can put into links on our website so that people can download PDF files and software exe files.

There should be no confirmation webpage or anything. The file should just start to download whenever the link is clicked or the url is pasted into a browser.

Also it is very important that if the file is deleted and then later recreated in the same folder  then the link should still be valid.

This is extremely simple and basic - I know . Something you can do on any website host. I just can not figure out how to do it with sharefile :-)

any idea ?
Photo of Steen Jakobsen

Steen Jakobsen

• 51 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Any thoughts?
Photo of Jeff Roback

Jeff Roback

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like

Was there ever a solution for this?   The solutions given above do NOT give a link to download the file, they only give a link that opens up a web page which requires the user to click a download button.   For automation purposes I need a link that will immediately start the download of the file.

I tried re-using the actual URL that the download occurs from when they click the download button, but this link changes when a new version of the file is uploaded, so that doesn't work for us.