Login Reports

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
I'm trying to chart how often our clients are logging into Sharefile - JUST LOGGING IN.

Every time I generate a Usage Report (filtered to "Login" activity ONLY), I get a spreadsheet that lists a client "logging in" several times within a millisecond time span. There are also several different descriptions attached to the ItemName to describe "how they logged in" which doesn't really make any sense sometimes because it looks like clients making use of features that we don't even use.

For example:
I'll have abc@company.com WebApp listed for ItemName, 2 or more times all with the timestamp "2/12/2018  1:26:36 PM" and Activity "Login".

or

abc@company.com DocumentApprovalWorkflow which is a feature we don't use nor should it be counted as a "Login" considering there's never even an opportunity to send a link to that feature to prompt the system that the client needs to log in before accessing.

Please explain WHAT is actually getting reported, WHY it's reporting like this, and HOW can I properly figure out the accurate numbers for people logging into Sharefile over a certain period of time.
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • confused

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 402 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Hi Cynthia,

The report does list all logins, but it shouldn't be creating multiple logins for logging in to the website; we've opened up a ticket to look into that.  Login to the Documents Approval Workflow trigger off of just exploring and mean that someone clicked over into that interface at some point.  It does NOT indicate actual use.

-Leo  
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Why does "exploring" features or opening Content Viewers count as a "Login Activity"?
Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 402 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
The document approval workflow is a slightly different system, so in order to go into that system, you still have to login.  You're just not putting in credentials.
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
And you mean the Content Viewer is also a different system so it still has to login?
Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 402 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Correct.  That's the previewing system for non-Virtual Data Room accounts.
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So can I safely assume that every ItemName that has a description linked to a feature is irrelevant and just filter it down to ItemNames with ONLY the email in the cell? And I guess filter further on timestamp duplication?
Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 402 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
If you did that filter then you would probably get nothing. 

If you want to verify the website logins, those all say "Webapp" after the email.  Given what you were saying before, these lines are important to you.

If you want to verify a tool login, they will say that tool's name or an abbreviation of that name.  Depending on how much information/access you give your clients, you may consider Desktop App logins important (I think they say Desktop for Windows or Desktop for Mac), as that tool is both freely available to all users and would allow the client user to access any folders you gave them access to.

Failed logins have additional garbled text added right after the email (but do say LoginFail as the activity).  

Does that help?
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I will do that, thanks!