Office 365 Auto Save and ShareFile Apps

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Perhaps someone can clear up a feature that is confusing to my users and me. 

As I understand it, if you use Drive Mapper to open any Office 365 application (like Excel), auto save is disabled. In ShareFile Sync as well as the web version, auto save performs normally when editing an Office 365 file. Can anyone confirm this behavior for the different apps using ShareFile?   (Please know that I have enabled Office 365 as an admin in ShareFile).  The reason I ask is that several of our users have lost data while working on Excel files in ShareFile DriveMapper (mostly due to loss of an Internet connect, computer crash or otherwise not to saving when the user account is logged out of by another person). In all cases, my users were using the desktop version of Excel while accessing files via Drive Mapper. Excel normally has autosave configured to auto save every 10 minutes. Their work exceeded 10 minutes in each case.

Any insight anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Photo of Rob Godschall

Rob Godschall

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Nadine Maloney

Nadine Maloney, Employee

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
DriveMapper does not change the autosave behavior for Office 365 apps using ShareFile. 

This has to do with the apps behavior in editing a file. For example, Excel creates a temporary file, usually named the same with a '~' character in front of it. The reading/writing to the file is done to this temporary file. When the user performs a manual save or closes, Excel performs several copies/renames of temporary files to save the data. Drivemapper will then be signaled to begin the upload of the new version of the file. For performance reasons, Drivemapper will not upload the temporary files created by Excel during editing to ShareFile.

For auto save(auto recovery) in Excel, an auto recovery file is created and saved by Excel in a temporary location outside of DriveMapper. Try relaunching Excel and then looking under Recoverable files for any lossed data.