Outlook Plugin is sending old emails?

• Problem
  • Updated 6 days ago
I installed the Outlook plugin on two of my colleagues' computers but one of them started noticing that old emails were being resent for some reason. I've been using the plugin for quite a while now and I never experienced this issue and I want to implement it on several other computers but I don't want to if this issue will occur again.

Why would this happen?
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 7 days ago

Photo of David Prows

David Prows

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We had this happen to some users.  We couldn't figure out why and kind of chalked it up to something being stuck in their outbox that the plugin triggered.  They all had multiple mailboxes, so not sure if it had something to do with that or not.  
Photo of Douglas Goodman

Douglas Goodman, Employee

• 5 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Cynthia - This is likely because there were old emails in the Outbox.

The Outlook Plug-in has a feature to allow users to compose emails offline, add ShareFile attachments, and send the message. These messages go to the Outbox but wait for Outlook to detect an active internet connection and be processed and sent.

In the case that the user closes Outlook before a connection is established, the plug-in has a feature that allows it to scan the Outbox at startup and ensure that any messages with ShareFile attachments are processed. Messages that aren't marked to be processed by the Plug-in are sent via Outlook's default method.

This is likely where the issue is. For some reason those old messages were not sent by Outlook and remained in the Outbox, until the ShareFile Plug-in was added to Outlook and sent the messages.

Our team will investigate this and make any necessary improvements. As a work-around, remove any old messages from the Outbox before installing the Plug-in to prevent them from being sent.

I apologize for the unintended behavior and hope this helps.

Doug
Photo of Cynthia

Cynthia

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Great, thanks. I'll make sure to look for that beforehand!