Release Notes, Citrix Files for Windows Beta 7

• Announcement
  • Updated 4 months ago
We are pleased to announce the release of Citrix Files for Windows, Beta 7. You can download the Beta from the following link: https://dl.sharefile.com/cfwin. Note, this will be our final beta release prior to general availability.  

What's new
  • General quality and performance improvements

Documentation:
For more information about Citrix Files for Windows, please refer to the online documentation here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228273

Note: This app has undergone extensive internal and external testing but is pre-release software and has no official support. We welcome feedback via the "send feedback" link on the dashboard, or to cfwin.feedback@citrix.com 
Photo of Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson, Product Manager

• 332 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of jx trmo

jx trmo

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Chris, I tried the gpo policy definition files for Citrix Files on Windows Server 2016 hosted shared desktop but noticed Citrix Files doesn't setup the user automatically. Is that possible? If I try to login and enter email address it complains about it saying invalid. So I setup using company id, where I enter the subdomain and it prompts for domain user login. After that the user can login.
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 332 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Hi, I believe Lenny answered this on the other thread, but if you're referring to SSO, you need to set the "Account" GPO under User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Citrix Files and set to your account subdomain. ex: Youraccount.sharefile.com. From there the account will negotiate with your IdP the correct level of authentication needed. For example, under the SSO configuration tab in the ShareFile Web App, if you configured your SAML IdP to use Windows Integrated Auth (using something like AD FS), then the user would be auto logged into ShareFile - assuming that user already exists in ShareFile and the email address matches the email address for that same user in AD. 
Photo of jx trmo

jx trmo

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've got the account subdomain set in GPO. Noticed in the logs it says "Environment is VDA. Attempting VDA SSO." How would I configure that? For SAML, Thanks I do think I am missing it's config. A bit old, but I found this blog that mentions how to setup SAML for ShareFile: https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2014/01/16/xenmobile-sharefile-mobile-app-sso-using-saml

Also I am using Citrix Profile Manager (UPM) and am trying to set a custom cache location so the profile doesn't get so big and bloated that it would slow down user logons. I am testing having the custom path exist by including it as part of the defualt user so it gets created with a new user. So far using the variable/path %username%\AppData\Roaming\Citrix Files didn't work as it errored out with a "Invalid path for the cache in gpo. please contact your admin." But %userprofile% works the only thing is I can't get it to use Microsoft Folder Redirection for Appdata, instead it stays in the Citrix User Profiles Appdata\Roaming. Any ideas?

Photo of jx trmo

jx trmo

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Quick update I used "\\FileServer\Share\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Citrix\Citrix Files' path as the custom cache location from which utilizes Folder Redirection for AppData\Roaming. Because AppData\Roaming folder already exists and Citrix Files creates the \Citrix\Citrix Files path all that is created afterwards is the PartCache folder. Works out nicely! The %username% variable handles identify the location for each user. This way I can keep the cache out of AppData\Local which sit in Citrix User Profile Manager (UPM) user store and eliminates profile bloat or long login duration. Additionally I excluded the AppData\Local\Citrix\Citrix Files directory to avoid the folders/files: Database, Logs, temp, & icon.ico from going into UPM. I noticed these files get recreated locally once a user logs into a Citrix session. I am not sure if that will hinder anything, but thus far I don't see it causing any harm. The logs folder in particular grows and created many files so again I avoid the profile bloat. Hope this helps. Thanks guys.
Photo of Christopher Jutting

Christopher Jutting

• 19 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Will there be an MSI version with the general release so I can push it to my users?
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 332 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
No, at least initially there will not be a MSI. Can you explain to me your limitation in pushing the EXE + GPOs to your users?

Christopher Jutting

• 19 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Windows can only push msi through gpo to my knowledge
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 332 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I am assuming SCCM, PDQDeploy or equivalent is not available for you to use?

Christopher Jutting

• 19 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Currently no, we dont use those systems at this time. Its something id like to look into though.
Photo of David Ellis

David Ellis

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We use Azure AD/Intune/EM+S in our environment, there are no GPOs. Intune only supports pushing MSI files.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 332 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Sorry, for the delay David Ellis as I have been on PTO. Based on my understanding you can deploy EXEs through Intune, but I may be missing an account configuration which is blocking your deployment from publishing EXEs (if possible). Does the following article represent how you are deploying apps via Intune? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/add-apps-for-windows-pcs-in-microsoft-intune
Photo of David Ellis

David Ellis

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You can not deploy EXEs through the current version of Intune. That doc is for the depreciated Intune portal, as noted by the "Applies to: Intune in the classic portal" under the title.

This KB is for the current Intune portal. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/lob-apps-windows

"Then, select a Windows installation file with the extension of .msi, .appx, .appxbundle, .msix or .msixbundle."
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 332 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Dang, not sure how I missed that, thanks for the feedback! At the public release we will not have a MSI, however, I will communicate this feedback back to the team.
Photo of David Ellis

David Ellis

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks!
Photo of jx trmo

jx trmo

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also with using Citrix UPM I noticed 'AppData\Local\Citrix\Citrix Files' gets created and in there are the following folders\files: Database, Logs, temp, & icon.ico 

Can these be moved to a different location? Say folder redirection with AppData\Roaming?