Release Notes, Citrix Files for Windows, v 4.2

• Announcement
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • (Edited)
We are pleased to announce that the Citrix Files for Windows app is available for download. This is a public release and it marks the general availability (GA) of Citrix Files for Windows for customers.

How to download:

Overview

Citrix Files provides interaction with your native Windows file system without the need to have all of your files local on your device.

Requirements:

• Local machine administrative permissions are required to install the app.
  • Windows 7 or newer is required.
Integration with Windows Explorer – access your files through the Windows Explorer S:\ drive (or next available drive if S: is already in use) . The files are downloaded only when accessed. Changes saved to files are automatically saved back to the cloud.

Right click context menu options – Right click on files or folders to access ShareFile actions. This provides ability to share, request, checkout, manage folder permissions,  initiate workflows, and more.

Citrix Files Dashboard - You can access the dashboard by left clicking on the Citrix Files system tray icon. The dashboard will show you recently uploaded files. You can also access your Settings and other options by clicking the (...) in the top right corner of the dashboard.  

Folder Mount Points – Configured via GPO policy, folder mount points allow for configuring drives to specific folders or Connectors.

Icon Overlays - Files and folders have an icon overlay to indicate their status. These overlays indicate if a file is saved in the cloud, checked-out, or in process of syncing to the cloud.

Notifications – Windows notifications are provided for common actions such as upload or sharing activity.

Who needs to know?
Citrix Files for Windows is for both Enterprise and SMB customers.

Documentation:
For more information about Citrix Files for Windows, please refer to the online documentation here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX228273
Photo of Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson, Product Manager

• 327 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Levi Gritton

Levi Gritton

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you plan to release a Citrix Files Sync client? Or will the sync client be phased out as an option going forward?
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 326 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Citrix Files for Windows will eventually offer 'offline access' (sync) features and at a future date Sync for Windows will be upgraded to Citrix Files for Windows. If you're interested, stay tuned as the 'offline access' feature will be available as a beta feature in Citrix Files for Windows in the coming months. 
(Edited)
Photo of Arjan Heuvelman

Arjan Heuvelman

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Chris, will the future 'offline access' feature also support network shares? That would be a great improvement. Because some of our traveling employees needs to sync data which is located on a file server and is not available via a shared Sharefile folder.
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 326 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Hi Arjan, the end goal is to get to that point, yes. It wont be that way in the initial beta and possibly not in the initial public release of the feature as well, but the end goal would be to offer that support. 
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Chris, I just got off the phone with tech support after multiple calls and am very frustrated. For the past number of years I have used ShareFile as both a backup for my local drive as well as remote access to files when I'm traveling. The Desktop Sync app worked great. I could map files directly from my local J: drive to my ShareFile folders. i.e. J:/Trade Orders to S:/Trade Orders. If I changed anything on my local drive it was synced to SF and vice versa. It's worked perfectly! I just replaced my desktop and upon reinstalling the new version of sync have come to find it doesn't work like that anymore. Now it defaults to a local copy of ShareFile which I really find pretty useless. I live and work on my local drive and need that to match what's in the SF cloud. What was the logic of this change and how do I get my old system back? Am also frustrated that there doesn't seem to be anyone that I can talk to about my concerns. Sales department doesn't know or care, tech support people are great but don't have a fix, and other than this community board their doesn't seem to be a way to communicate with anyone making the design decisions. So I'm not impressed with the customer service and I'm really not impressed with losing the primary functionality that I've used with SF. Please advise.
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 326 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Derrick, which application are you currently using? Sync for Windows (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX207680)? If so, it sounds like you are using symbolic links: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX226307, is that the case? 

If you downloaded and installed Citrix Files for Windows, then correct, that feature is not in the app yet, though it will be in the future as we continue adding more 'sync' features into Citrix Files for Windows. In the meantime, I would suggest continuing to use Sync for Windows.
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had been using the Sharefile Desktop and Sharefile Desktop Sync apps. When I installed the new computer, I downloaded all of the current programs. So yes, the new system has Sync for Windows and Citrix Files for Windows. I would prefer to keep using the older SF apps until you get the sync features built into the new Citrix apps. Is there a link to download the previous apps?
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Chris, Just following up on my question of reinstalling the previous SF apps until you get same functionality in the Citrix version. 
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 326 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Hi Derrick,

Sync for Windows is what we are bringing into Citrix Files for Windows. You can get Sync for Windows in the apps page of your ShareFile account today. Based on my understanding of your need, Sync for Windows with symbolic links would solve your use case.

Apps we support, i.e. apps that have not been deprecated either by updates to newer app versions / names, or by EOL, can be found in one of two places:
  1. The Apps page of your ShareFile account
  2. The Citrix Downloads page: Citrix.com/downloads/sharefile
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I tried the symbolic links and it seems like that just created a local copy of my SF folders at c:/user/sharefile. Downloading the Sync for Windows is what got me in this mess to begin with. I need the previous apps
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Unless, I don't understand how the symbolic links work? Can you explain?
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 326 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Sorry, we've renamed tools in the past, but if you are referencing the 'Adobe Air' based tools - we upgraded Desktop Sync (and the majority of it's most used features / use cases) to Sync for Windows and Sync for Mac a few years ago and thus no longer offer it as an app. If you have a copy of the old Desktop Sync on a previous machine, I can't stop you from using it, but do note, we dont offer them anymore nor can we guarantee they will continue to function in the future. 

Aside from using a legacy, unsupported app, you really have two options:
1) take advantage of our PowerShell SDK
2) use the Migration Tool and move the existing Network Share to ShareFile, thus solely using ShareFile, if possible. I'll also advice this team of your use case and see if it is something that can be included in the Migration Tool in a future update.

Apps we currently support, i.e. apps that have not been deprecated either by updates to newer app versions / names, or by EOL, can be found in one of two places:
  1. The Apps page of your ShareFile account
  2. The Citrix Downloads page: Citrix.com/downloads/sharefile
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there any update on bringing a more useful syncing feature into Citrix Files. As mentioned before, this was my offsite storage and backup for the past number of years. Still very upset that SF took that functionality away. I need to find a new solution if these features are added soon. Thanks.
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 326 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
"Still very upset that SF took that functionality away" - ShareFile Sync for Windows is still an app which you can use today.

With that said, Citrix Files for Windows 4.3 offers the first, of a few, beta of Offline Access (Sync): Release Notes, Citrix Files for Windows, v4.3
Photo of Derrick Johnson

Derrick Johnson

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had been  using Adobe Air version of Desktop Sync until I replace hardware and no longer had a copy. That version allowed syncing from my network drive to mirrored folders on ShareFile. It functioned perfectly and I haven't ever received a reason as to why the syncing function was changed. If I am missing something in my setup please let me know. We work on a local network drive which I would like to keep synced with SF.
Photo of Evan

Evan

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

We're having issues with Citrix Files for Windows and Citrix Profile Management/Roaming Profiles. There cannot be 2 instances off the application running on 2 machines at the same time with a roaming profile, as the first running instance locks the files in the "AppData/Roaming/Citrix/Citrix Files" directory. The second instance will only run after the first is shut down. 

Can we please get any information on how to fix this issue? ShareFile Drive Mapper did not have this issue and could run concurrently on multiple XD sessions.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 296 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Hi Evan, just to clarify is the same user trying to use the app on both machines, or is it different users on different machines? 
Photo of Evan

Evan

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your quick reply. The same user on both machines, i.e. a Desktop server and an App server. In the log files, the Citrix Files gets stuck at "[DatabaseManager] Initializing global databases".

We need the user to be able to log into 2 places at once on 2 different machines with Citrix Files installed, as there are custom apps we have written that require the ShareFile data from the S:\ drive on the machine those apps run on, as well as allowing the user to still access files from the desktop they are logged into.
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 296 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Thanks for the details Evan. We are looking into this to help figure out what went wrong. Stay tuned. If we need more details from you (logs, etc), we will reach out via email.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Chris, will the ShareFile Drive Mapper app be phased out?  And when?   Also, are there any pitfalls with switching to this new app and removing Drive Mapper?   

Thanks
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 296 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Hi Mike, yes, eventually ShareFile Drive Mapper will be upgraded to Citrix Files for Windows. This should happen later this year. I expect the start will happen at some point in October and will take some time - again going slowly. There should have been a communication to Master Admins, who had at least one user who logged into Drive Mapper since 2017, about the announcement of Citrix Files for Windows and the future upgrade to Drive Mapper. Before this upgrade starts though, we will build in a full upgrade / migration path between Drive Mapper and Citrix Files for Windows (CFWin), such as CFWin supported the existing Drive Mapper GPOs, etc.
As for today, the existing features in Drive Mapper are in CFWin, so no, there are no major pitfalls, however, it would require that you deploy the full CFWin GPOs as the current CFWin build does not support existing Drive Mapper GPOs. With that said, each deployment is slightly different, so I'd recommend deploying to a few test users first, before doing a full rollout - just to be safe. We do have a number of customers that have already done this. 
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the detailed answer.  This is helpful.

We have over 3 million files in our account.  One thing I'm noticing right away is that folder navigation is near instant in the Citrix Files apps.  Whereas with Drive Mapper, there would be a delay or sometimes it would even crash Windows Explorer.

A major complaint we receive consistently from our users (around 100 of them), is that sometimes files (especially Excel files) get corrupted when opened, worked on, then saved right back to the drive.    Does the new Citrix Files app address this issue?
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 296 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the kind words on the overall quality / speed of Citrix Files for Windows that you are seeing!

We had fixed a similar issue (in a previous beta) in Citrix Files for Windows. It may be worth having a few of your ~100 employees trying it to see if they still encounter the issue. 
(Edited)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Chris,

I have upgraded from Drive Mapper to Citrix Files and I now am encountering an issue with the Network Share Connector. From time to time complete folders show up empty and even worse, files are empty. This is not giving me a good feeling. The only way to solve this is to logout from the client and logon again. Did you recieve more issue's like this?

(Edited)
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Engineering

• 144 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Erwin,

Can you please submit logs (right click the system tray icon ->  help). We will have a look at it. 

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Prabhat,

I have submitted the logfiles.
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

• 144 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Erwin. We looked at the logs and while there are valid 401 exceptions (until the network share was authenticated), we could not find any obvious reasons for the files not showing up. Can you please reach out to us on cfwin.feedback@citrix.com, we will take it further from there. 

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi
Photo of Lenny Soletti

Lenny Soletti, Official Rep

• 25 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Erwin,
We released a new version of the app v4.3 that can be downloaded from dl.sharefile.com/cfwin/ with fixes in this area. Could you please try it out and let us know if you're still experiencing issues with Network Share Connectors? 

Thanks!
Photo of John LaTour

John LaTour

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi,

Want to replace Drive Mapper with Citrix Files in our XenApp environment. With Drive Mapper, I just needed to set a specific GPO (ShareFile Data Location) to the change drive letter it mounts to. (We use P:)

How is this done in the new Citrix Files GPO so that we see all of Favorites/Personal/Shared at the root level of P: and not S: or Z:? I see 10 entries for Mount Points, so I'm assuming I use that, but I'm unclear on the syntax. Is it simply:

Local Path = P:
Citrix File Path = \

Thanks!
Photo of John LaTour

John LaTour

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Should all else fail, I suppose I'll just create this key in HKCU via GPO instead:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Citrix\Citrix Files\RootFolders]
"RootLocation"="P:"
Photo of Chris Anderson

• 296 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Hey John, sorry for the delay. 

You were on the right path with your initial post. The way to do this is to create a custom mount point with the:
Local Path: P:
Citrix File Path: \
DisplayName: What ever you want to call it

We'll get this added to the support article so others know how to create a custom mount to the root of the account
Photo of John LaTour

John LaTour

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Fantastic. Thank you!
Photo of Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had a couple of questions, firstly, about the auto-update feature.  Will this automatically update  even with non-administrators logged on (using a service or scheduled task)?  Secondly, regarding the desktop icon.  I really see no need for the desktop icon since all I can see that it does is to launch the program and the default installation behavior is to launch at logon.  Is there an installation parameter to suppress the creation of the desktop icon?
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Employee

• 116 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

By default when a new app version is published, existing app users get notification for upgrade, unless the GPO policy Enable Auto-update is unchecked. If the user is not an admin on the machine, a prompt asking for Admin credential would show up. So in essence, an install / upgrade would always require an admin privilege on the machine. 

The desktop icon on double clicking launches the explorer window.
However, single click on the icon launches a dashboard where recently modified files (or informational message as appropriate) can be seen, along with option to list existing workflows, preferences - for app management, sharing, drive letter to mount on, help screen etc. Additionally right clicking on the ShareFile icon would show some quick options. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi
Photo of Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Prabhat, thank you for the response.  I had a feeling it would still need admin authority to run the update.  It would be nice if it could do this silently like so many other pieces of software.

With regard to your response about the "Desktop" icon, the behavior you described is the behavior with the icon in the Windows tool tray- you know the one next to the clock, etc.  The actual icon on the desktop is just a normal Windows shortcut that points to "C:\Program Files\Citrix\Citrix Files\CitrixFiles.exe" which launching this does absolutely nothing once the software is already running which it does by default when a user logs on.

So, the question still stands- is there an installation switch to prevent the creation of the desktop icon?
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Employee

• 116 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. Currently we don't provide any installer option for the desktop short cut. We will consider the feedback and will have it in one of the future release.

And yes, admin privilege is needed for update. Since we install a file system driver also, it is needed. For updates that dont require the driver update, we can consider allowing it to be updated with out admin privilege. 

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi
Photo of Christopher Jutting

Christopher Jutting

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
When is a new release expected? We were promised a new version this month that would correct the date modified issue, so it matched what is seen in Drive Mapper.
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

• 131 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

The new version v4.3 has been released, can be downloaded from dl.sharefile.com/cfwin. Existing app users would get an update notification as this is rolled out over this week. This version would have the fix for the date mismatch issue.

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi