Release Notes, ShareFile Web Application v18.31

• Announcement
  • Updated 5 days ago
  • (Edited)
We are pleased to announce the release of ShareFile Web Application v18.31 which includes the following bug fix. These changes will be available to all customers in the coming week. 

Notifications UI Update

Real time email notifications for the following actions have received a UI update:
  • User added to a Folder
  • Upload
  • Download
  • Preview
*Update 8/10/2018 6:09 pm EST: Due to unintended customer issues caused by this, these notifications change will be reverted. 

The following customer issue have been resolved:
  • On the StorageZones admin page, the storage graph was not display data correctly. 

Who needs to know?

ShareFile Web Application updates are intended for all customers. 

Documentation
You can learn more about ShareFile apps and features at our Support Site (https://www.sharefile.com/support).
Photo of Sophia Su

Sophia Su, Product Manager

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Apologies everyone for the late inclusion of the UI changes for notification emails. 
Photo of Alexandre Tetrault

Alexandre Tetrault

• 4 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
It's not just a UI change, its a lost of functionnality.
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
The old notifications contained a link to download the uploaded file directly - the new notification does not seem to have this.  It only has the link to the folder.

Could you allow us to retain the old notification style?

You also seem to be disregarding custom footer text in notifications now.

The file path is also no longer there (although I'm not too bothered by this, it is another change in the "information displayed" contrary to your claim that this is "still the same").
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Actually, the file path not being there is creating issues with some email rules I had set up.

Alexandre Tetrault

• 5 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
The old notifications contained a link to download the uploaded file directly - the new notification does not seem to have this.  It only has the link to the folder.

Could you allow us to retain the old notification style?
This is Critical in our line of Business. We really need this feature back.

I called support, and they did not seem to be able to help us or did not seemed to care.
(Edited)
Photo of Trung Ha

Trung Ha

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I agree with Ben, Citrix support informed us that they remove this feature and that the old notifications contained a link to download the uploaded file directly is no longer available - the new notification does have this option of dowloading the files. It only has the link to the folder and we need to filter???? This completly insane....We are searching for a replacement file transfer product as I writting this. Support ask us to make en enhancement request for a feature that existied and that they removed???!!!!
Photo of Trung Ha

Trung Ha

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I agree with Ben, Citrix support informed us that they remove this feature and that the old notifications contained a link to download the uploaded file directly is no longer available - the new notification does have this option of dowloading the files. It only has the link to the folder and we need to filter???? This completly insane....We are searching for a replacement file transfer product as I writting this. Support ask us to make en enhancement request for a feature that existied and that they removed???!!!!
Photo of Charlie Price

Charlie Price

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
The removal of the file path in the email notifications has completely hosed an application we have that relies on those notifications having the folder path.  This has made Sharefile 100% useless for me now.

Alexandre Tetrault

• 4 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Charlie is right, we started looking at other alternatives as sharefile doesn't suit our purpose anymore.
Photo of doug

doug

• 4 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
The original post states "All the information displayed in the notification is still the same. " 

This is incorrect. 

The folder path is missing. As others have stated and I posted yesterday (Latest Sharefile update (.31?) removes useful folder path information from notification emails. )

We have an anti phishing policy in our company restricting the clicking of email links.
We use the desktop app in our Sharefile procedures.  

Our business process depends on the file path to navigate to the proper sub folders of clients and  for our record keeping receipts. 

This change will cost our company many hours of work to reorganize our standardized processes and email over 170 clients who many of which will need to update and change automated ftp processes. Some larger insurance organizations will take weeks if not months to make these seemingly simple changes!

Please put the file path back into the notification emails. Or allow us to configure our notifications to include the path.

Sincerely, 

Doug Pendergras
Senior Network Administrator 
ICT and TICO
Photo of Nate

Nate

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The release notes are incorrect. They say "All the information displayed in the notification is still the same. This is purely a cosmetic change." This is wrong for a few reasons.

First the details do not show up anymore.

This is what it used to look like...

Name: Vol-1_Part-1_PROCUREMENT_Part-2_CONTRACT-FORMS_16951506.pdf
Size: 8.32 MB • Created: 8/9/18 10:23a
Creator: Jennifer Marner [jmarner@valleyconstruction.com] (Valley )
Details: Email: jmarner@valleyconstruction.com
First Name: Jennifer , 
Last Name: Marner, 
Company: Valley , 
Phone #: 309-787-0292, 
Instructions: Please print full sets of the drawings and print the specs double sided,

This is what it looks like now...

Luijack HiLine - Complete drawings.pdf 
Size: 101.07 MB • Created: 8/10/18 11:51a 
Creator: Charlie McGuire [charlie@rockriverelectric.com] (Rock River Electric)

We are missing all of this critical information, that is needed to print the files correctly. We are completely missing the instructions and their phone number, which means we now have to contact them for instructions they have already provided.

Second, the link in the email dumps you in the file box, where you have to search through hundreds of files to find the one they uploaded. This us a huge waste of our employees time and is costing the company money for a product that should be saving us time.

Please roll back this update or restore the functionality that has been removed. Otherwise, we may need to look at alternatives to ShareFile, which is a shame, since we have been a customer since 2013.

Sincerly,

Nathan Peters, VSP5, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, CIOS, CNIP
Systems Administrator
CityBlue Technologies
Photo of Jason Gladden

Jason Gladden

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

I'm having numerous clients have hit or miss success logging into the web application now.  Works one minute, then the next it after logging in, it redirects back to the login page.    Seems random, but annoying!
Photo of Nikola Gibson

Nikola Gibson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Some of our clients are reporting the same.  13/8/2018
Photo of Jesse Vo

Jesse Vo

• 1 Post
  • 4 Reply Likes
Our company used your function to build a custom upload form to allow clients to specify who files are specifically for at our company. Now this information is no longer being relayed to our administrative staff so they have to ask every employee at our company if a file is for them. In addition the link going to a folder instead of just the specific files is wasting time for our staff having to locate them.  What is the point of having a custom upload form if fields we ask for are not even being used? 

Photo of Nate

Nate

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We are having the same issue. We have a custom remote upload form and it is no longer displaying additional information such as company name, instructions or phone numbers. This is creating issues for each office.
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi everyone, thank you for reporting these issues. It was not our intention to take away content from the emails. We are exploring options to revert these changes today. 
Photo of Charlie Price

Charlie Price

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I spend my whole morning recoding this thing to work now to have it rolled back.  Wonderful friday!
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
My friday has also been "wonderful" so far. 
Photo of Stella Freeman Embrey

Stella Freeman Embrey

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Man, this program was totally working for me.  seems it would be a simple matter to just add back the folder path within the notitications.  Pleeeeese do this!  such a simple correction would make my life much easier.  otherwise, will have to completely rework how I use Sharefile, IF I decide to continue with Sharefile.
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hi everyone, we are planning on reverting the email notification changes.

One thing that I would like your feedback on is that we can't tell when you guys have built processes on top of content that is in the email. What are some of your ideas for communicating that to us so we can be mindful of it when planning and communicating changes in the future?
Photo of Charlie Price

Charlie Price

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I think understanding ShareFile's logic for changing the notification emails would be a good starting point.
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
For this particular change, we are updating the UI to be cleaner and match the rest of our UI. The UI update will still happen after these gaps in content has been reviewed and fixed. 

The issues that this first attempt has caused really highlights our blind spot in knowing what processes you guys have built on top of notifications. If we could use this opportunity to explore some ways we can be more aware what these processes are, then it will be helpful for future changes. 

Alexandre Tetrault

• 4 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi,
First of all, thank you for asking, the support rep did not go that far.
We are using the sharefile to receive files from clients. The notification emails allow us to quickly retrieve files from the filebox using outlook.
We receive about 300 or 400 hundred files per day and that is why sorting thought the files is a nightmare. We leave the files there until they expire. Sometimes a colleague will pick up files 2 or 3 days later.

I think you should send an email with the proposed upcoming changes upfront so that we are not stuck with a surprise update. Also removing features is never a good idea. You sould add options in the control panel if you want to offer changes and you should make these changes optional, not force changes on everyone without asking. Don't forget we are thousands using your product for different usages.

Alex
Photo of IT Guys

IT Guys

• 3 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
It will actually be better if you could at least give us some heads up that a change like this is coming up! That way we can prepare, or even beta test the change to let you know all the things that new change is breaking. I have over 70 users all yelling at my Department because now it takes forever to load the folder and it nolonger takes you to the specified document (s). If you could revert the changes until the new UI behaves exactly like the old one did, I'm sure everyone in our company would appreciate it, specially us in the IT Department.
Photo of Nate

Nate

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I agree, we hare having the same issue and I am getting many employees reporting this issue to us in the IT Department. 

Please send us an email with the proposed upcoming changes upfront so that we are not stuck with a surprise update going forward. We would really appreciate advanced warning.
Photo of doug

doug

• 4 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I will be happy to share with you our Sharefile procedures.  Give me an email where I can send them.  I am not too familiar with how our clients interact with notifications.  I believe that the larger companies have automated processes with ftps systems and the emails act as triggers I believe..
Photo of Charlie Price

Charlie Price

• 4 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
That is exactly what i do and the changes today made it all fly apart
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback. I will review in detail next week. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 
Photo of Steve Hesser

Steve Hesser

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Why did they remove the "Details" from the new notification?  I would really like to see this back on the notification
Photo of IT Guys

IT Guys

• 3 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Are we going to get any notification letting us know that everything got reverted back and that we now have our lost functionalities back?
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Yes, we are keeping an eye on the progress and will post a comment here to update. 
Photo of IT Guys

IT Guys

• 3 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you Sophia!
Photo of Andy Jamison

Andy Jamison

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I thought that someone had come in and hacked my Sharefile and was shocked to learn that the changes were done internally!!  How I use Sharefile - I request that clients send me documents securely using Sharefile... I get an email saying that "So and So has uploaded documents to Sharefile"... I then click on the link, type in my password, and the documents are right there and easy to download.... OOOPS... not anymore!  Now they go into a "file box" that lists every single document that every client has ever sent in to me and I have to sort and search for them. Really??? Please change it back ASAP!
Photo of K C

K C

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I am so glad to see that everyone has complained about this.  I freaked out when I clicked on an email link and it only took me to the folder and not the actual files that were uploaded.  This new way doesn't work for me either.
Photo of Sophia Su

• 184 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
*Update* Email notification changes are in the process of being reverted. The current expected completion time is Monday (8/13) morning. 
Photo of Stella Freeman Embrey

Stella Freeman Embrey

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sophia, thank you so much! very much appreciated, thank you for listening to our concerns.

Have a great weekend!
Photo of doug

doug

• 4 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you for the update.
Photo of Ben Grundy

Ben Grundy

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Just to report that the notifications I have received today are back to the old style - I assume Sophia has changed this back.  Thank you for addressing the unintended problems caused by your update.

I agree with the comments made by IT Guys and Nate above suggesting informing users in advance of an upcoming change - I think that would be useful.  People are then aware in advance of potential issues.

I think Gmail is changing UI soon, but Google give their customers the chance to adopt the new style early so presumably people can then see how it works before being forced to adopt it.  That might be a good approach (although I appreciate that you probably wouldn't want to do that for every little change).

I think someone else mentioned adding functionality or a new UI as a settings option rather than forcing it for all users.  I guess that could cause maintenance issues in the future where you have to maintain two UIs or whatever, but it would work for some changes.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Ben
Photo of Nate

Nate

• 9 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Advanced notice would be much appreciated. I have been asking for years for advance notice. As this is not the first time ShareFile has made changes that caused major issues. The remote upload forms have been broken 3 different times without any future notice, which resulting in downtime and upset customers (costing our company time and money).

With advanced notice we would at least be aware or be able to prepair for any issues. This way we could know in advance of changes and if there is an issue, we could identify it and report it sooner and get the issue resolved hopefully before employees and customers run into too many issues. Rather than reacting once employees and customers report the issue.

Alexandre Tetrault

• 5 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hi,
Thank you for revewrting the lastest changes to the UI. We are now back to normal. Business can resume.
Thank you,
Alex