Rename or Move files

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
One of the users in my group would like to be able to move or rename files within our ShareFile account without having to download the file from ShareFile then upload it to the new folder.  I have this option in my menu (I am an Admin on the account) but he does not (he is not an Admin).  What is the setting on a user's account that grants this ability?  Thank you.
Photo of Jean K

Jean K

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 429 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Hi Jean,

A user needs to be able to delete files in the folder you are moving from and upload files in the folder you are moving to.  

-Leo
Photo of Louis Göhl

Louis Göhl

• 24 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Permissions Required to Move:
-Delete on the current folder
-Upload on the destination folder

Permissions Required to Rename:
-Delete on the current folder

https://support.citrix.com/article/CT...
Photo of Jon Levi

Jon Levi

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
An alternative method that avoids downloading and uploading altogether is to install the ShareFile Drive Mapper tool on the user's PC.  Several of our clients use Drive Mapper which makes the entire ShareFile instance appear as a Mapped Network Drive in Windows Explorer, so users (assuming they have the necessary ShareFile folder permissions) can search, create, cut/copy/paste, delete and rename folders and files through Windows Explorer (My Computer).  Renaming objects may take a few seconds to complete depending on the size and complexity of your ShareFile instance (i.e., number of files and folders and width & depth of folder tree structure), as well as, the bandwidth and latency of the user's Internet connection.  BTW - We have been beta testing Drive Mapper v4 which is due to be released in September and the performance of the API calls, particularly for folder renaming operations is much improved.