Sharefile Backup

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hi, how would be possible to have a scheduled backup for Sharefile? With the main features that a tipical backup has: differential, versioning, etc.
I am wondering to use Sharefile as the only repository for shared data and file, so I have to protect my folders with a backup. How can I accomplish this? Thank you.
Photo of Giacomo Perucchini

Giacomo Perucchini

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of ShareFile Admin VA

ShareFile Admin VA

• 60 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I've asked this question several times in a variety of ways and never received a good answer.  Hopefully you will!
Photo of Peter Oven

Peter Oven

• 22 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I have accomplished this using the Sharefile Powershell API. I am backing up my entire "Shared Folders" (not any users' "Personal Folders") onto a Windows 7 PC weekly.  In this thread I posted my script: https://community.sharefilesupport.com/citrixsharefile/topics/sharefile-powershell-and-windows-task-...

Photo of ShareFile Admin VA

ShareFile Admin VA

• 60 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Fantastic - thank you for sharing!
Photo of Tim O'Leary

Tim O'Leary

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've moved all of the personal folders to a "Users" folder in the shared folders and given explicit permissions to each user's private folder.  I'm using Sharefile Sync on a Windows 2012 server to constantly sync all Sharefile data.  That server is backed up to a DATTO device, which gives me a year's worth of backups. One big problem with this process is that it doesn't run as a service and the server has to be in a "logged in" state, always.  I do that by logging in via RDP, then just closing the session without logging out.  I check daily to make sure that the sync is taking place. I would really to to find a way to perform a cloud to cloud backup!
Photo of Robert Fazen

Robert Fazen

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I used sync to backup as recommended and found that the sync started deleting files in the database.  When I tried to restore from the backup I found that many files were lost and read/write permissions had to be reset at each directory level.  The backup and restore was a real headache for something so basic.  After minor research, I found that riverbed.com offers several backup and restore solutions ... for the riverbed.com users.  I recommend that Sharefile do a search on riverbed.com to see the kinds of solutions being offered by competitors.
Photo of Tim O'Leary

Tim O'Leary

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yuck!  I haven't had the "deleting files" or permissions issues at all.  Have you contacted Sharefile support to find out why that is occurring?
Photo of Robert Fazen

Robert Fazen

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Tim.  Thank you for responding.  If I could retrace my steps, I would call support.  Upon reflection, clear documentation of the ShareFile Sync control panel in the hidden programs in the lower Windows 10 tool bar would have been very helpful.  Still ShareFile needs full fledged backup and restore apps.  I guess they feel that user ShareFiles will never get hacked.  And, if they do,the user is at fault.  Seems a bit arrogant.
Photo of Leo

Leo, Official Rep

• 506 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.