Sharefile Encrypted Emails Printing

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Hi, is there a way to print encrypted emails?

We cant save them to our case management system as only the sender can view them.

If we could print them at least we could scan them back in, but we cant do that either!

Thanks
Photo of Daniel Dunn

Daniel Dunn

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Escalation Engineer

• 169 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Daniel,

While we do not officially support printing Encrypted Emails, I just tested it with both Chrome and Outlook 2016 and both were able to print successfully. We also have a tool called Print to ShareFile which may help you achieve what you're looking for. More information on Print to ShareFile can be found here: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX207793

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

-Kevin Glenn
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I am intrigued how you managed to print anything other than the email saying "You have received an encrypted message from..."
Perhaps you can elaborate as this is an issue for many of us and we need a work around please
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
add to that the fact that Print to Sharefile does not work so this is not a work around either. As someone else stated a simple decrypt email button OR option would be preferable. Clients all have encrypted machines and server storage and need to be able to save emails onto there server storage for compliance purposes
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think the issue here appears to be that Sharefile is your main focus and Email Encryption is an add on for sharefile itself. What you need to realise is we are buying Sharefile FOR the email encryption not storage so it needs to work with our current processes whether you agree with them or not and be flexible enough that we do not need to launch web pages, save into sharefile (not that that works either) etc etc
(Edited)
Photo of Daniel Dunn

Daniel Dunn

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We ended up buying a different piece of software for email encryption in the end, just because we couldn't print the email from Outlook!

That was 100 user licenses from us Sharefile missed out on...
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
what did you buy. We like the portal etc as my client has a lot of clients (i am a partner so resell this to my clients)
Photo of Daniel Dunn

Daniel Dunn

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Mimecast - as well as email encryption it helped with improving our email filtering and sending of large email attachments.
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Daniel for coming back to me. I will be taking a look if this is not responded too and they will be loosing more than 100 users!
Photo of Harrym

Harrym

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Indeed, thanks Daniel.

ShareFile need to actually see this as a big opportunity!

It's just such an easy solution to be able to hold an encrypted conversation but that conversation has to be just as easily unencrypted to be saved to other internal systems for multiple readers otherwise it's useless.

Photo of NCVinVT

NCVinVT

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same issue - but with a little more precise description: an encrypted message is created and sent using the Outlook plug-in. The message is then found in the "sent items" box of Outlook 2016. That message, unlike unencrypted messages,  cannot be printed to show the text in the clear. It is important for our purposes to retain readable copies of all such outgoing communications.  "Printing to Sharefile" is not the answer - we need to print an unencrypted version of the email we  sent from our Outlook "sent items" box.
Photo of Daniel Dunn

Daniel Dunn

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi, our problem is the same as NCVinVT, we would like to be able to print the email from Outlook, but you cant it says click here to view the message.

We need to be able to save copies of the email to our case management system.

If we do this only the person who sent the message can view it.

One work around could be that we print the email, scan it in and save it to the case management system, although printing isnt possible from Outlook.

The only work around is to log into Sharefile and the inbox and print from there which is a bit of a pain

Thanks
Photo of Chris Clee

Chris Clee

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We also want to save the email but would prefer to save the unencrypted version as an Outlook electronic file (.msg).
Photo of Julie Dale

Julie Dale

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
We have the same issue and would like to see this resolved. It is very frustrating. I agree with Chris Clee that it would be preferable to be able to save the unencrypted version as an Outlook electronic file (*.msg). 
Photo of Harrym

Harrym

• 15 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Logged in hoping to find a solution to this but would seem not.

This is actually a really serious issue. Printing is a total cludge.

We need to be able decrypt replies when received due to the link validity time limit and the need to integrate with other internal systems with multiple readers.

A decrypt button in the Outlook plugin would work for us. How would that not be possible? I'd really like to understand the technical issues here.

Photo of Moore Stephens

Moore Stephens

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
This issue affect us too - we use a document management system in which we store all correspondence and documents against each client. This is important for our compliance and we can also then make use of the inbuilt Subject Access Request and data retention tools.

Being able to file the .msg with the readable email chain would really help us.

Currently we are avoiding message encryption and only using ShareFile for attachments, which we file separately, with very little text in the body of the email, but it does make it more time consuming.
Photo of Juliette Chami

Juliette Chami

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there any implementation made to solve this issue? Do Citrix have any plan for solving this issue in the near future?

Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Escalation Engineer

• 169 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi Juliette,

Printing an Encrypted Email would effectively remove encryption from the message thus we have not implemented a print feature on our end at this time. With that said, I have been able to successfully print Encrypted Email using the browsers print function which is typically CTRL + P on Windows and Command + P on Mac.
(Edited)