ShareFile Outlook Plug-in caused Outlook2016 crash, and since then unable to Enable it

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
setup:
> Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.9330.2124) 64-bit
Version 1805 (Build 9330.2124)

> ShareFileOutlookPlug-in-v5.3.1663.0.exe

have been using Sharefile plugin for some time (few weeks) with no issues, but at one time when trying to add Sharefile link to email via Plugin, it caused Outlook to crash.  Since then, it is not possible to re-enable plugin again (plugin has been re-installed already). 

"Slow and Disabled Add-ins" shows the following:

and clicking on Enable this add-in is not doing anything ...

Is there any way of 'clearing' this error/ message/info that Sharefile Plugin caused the crash? or even better finding out why Plugin caused the crash in the first place.. ?
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Douglas Goodman

Douglas Goodman, Employee

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Andrus - I'm sorry to hear about the crashing issue you are experiencing. We can attempt to determine the cause of the crash by using the log file created by the plug-in. You can find the log file here:

C:\Users\{{username}}\AppData\Roaming\ShareFile\Outlook\log.txt

Please upload the file directly to me using this link:
https://douglasgoodman.sharefile.com/r-r46176e95f2943cb8

In the mean time, please try deleting the settings.cfg file in the folder referenced above, and then restart Outlook.

Another place to look is in the Windows Event Viewer, under Windows Logs/Application. Immediately after the crash when enabling the plug-in, you can check here for an error event if one has been logged.

I'll reply here after I evaluate the log file.

Thanks,
Douglas Goodman
Photo of Douglas Goodman

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Andrus - Thanks for uploading the log file. I don't see any explicit errors logged that would indicate exactly what the problem is. Did you have a chance to look in the Event Viewer for error events? And did you try removing your settings file and restarting Outlook?

Thanks,
Doug
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your help. Have uploaded the log file.
In fact after uninstalling the Plugin, I removed (moved to another location) the whole folder: C:\Users\{{username}}\AppData\Roaming\ShareFile\Outlook\  so it is not there anymore. Strangly installing the Plugin again does not restore this folder now - I guess this is due to Outlook 'blocking it' from Enabling due to fact it caused the crash.
The main thing now is that I cannot even get the Sharefile plugin enabled at all...
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have looked at Event Logs..is there anything in particular I should be looking for related to Sharefile plugin ?

I have found that entry related to outlook crash all right: 

Error 14/06/2018 14:33:41 Application Error 1000 (100)
Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.9330.2087, time stamp: 0x5b068867
Faulting module name: GROOVEEX.DLL, version: 16.0.4546.1000, time stamp: 0x5911c6c5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000dc50
Faulting process ID: 0x4da8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d403c76826d93d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office16\GROOVEEX.DLL
Report ID: 46122835-88ca-4660-aed5-345930140e0e
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

And then about Outlook disabling Plugin as it caused the crash:

Warning 14/06/2018 14:33:56 Outlook 59 None
ProgID: Malone.AddinModule
GUID: {CEA2142F-E7AB-4B90-9125-AFAF922AD437}
Name: ShareFile Outlook Plug-in
Description: AddinModule
Load Behavior: 2
HKLM: 0
Location: c:\users\xxx\appdata\local\sharefile\outlookplugin\adxloader64.malone.dll
Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 0
Time Taken (Milliseconds): 0
Disable Reason: This add-in caused Outlook to crash.
Policy Exception (Allow List): 0
Photo of Douglas Goodman

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
From the event viewer you provided, it looks like the module that is causing the error is GROOVEEX.dll, which is related to Microsoft OneDrive for Business sync client. Do you see any errors or crashes when choosing to open a file from other apps, such as notepad? If you're not using it, you can try removing the OneDrive for Business Sync Client from the Modify menu for Office in Windows Apps and Features.

One thing I noticed in the log file is that you originally were running the 32-bit version of Outlook 2016, and on May 21 installed the 64-bit version. In the past we've seen some errors related to Office upgrades. It may be worthwhile to try running a repair on Office from the Windows "Apps and Features" menu.

If neither of these work, we can try something else.

Thanks,
Doug
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have noticed that Outlook crashed as well then trying to save the attachment (Outlook is still without Sharefle Plugin enabled).
I have tried to save attachment after having Outlook launched with: Outlook /safe but still crashed.
So I have removed OneDrive and did go through Repair Online, and now able to save attachment all right (not sure which one helped here), but still cannot get SharefilePlugin enabled as Outlook shows it as it caused the crash and its not letting me to Enable it ...

Thanks
Andrus
Photo of Douglas Goodman

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Can you check the event viewer for another error message after trying to enable the plug-in? Perhaps there were two different issues and removing OneDrive solved only one of them.

Another thing that may be helpful is the loader logs. Can you upload those to the ShareFile link provided in one of the previous comments? Those logs are located here:
C:\Users\{{username}}\AppData\Local\Temp\Citrix Files for Outlook
adxloader.log and adxregistrator.log

Thanks,
Doug
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
"Can you check the event viewer for another error message after trying to enable the plug-in? " the problem is like reported originally - Since the Outlook crashed when I was trying to use ShareFile plugin to share sharefile resources, it somehow 'remembers' this and its not even allowing to Enale it again...

(Clicking on "Enable this add-in" is not working (nothing happens)
Trying to enable it from Option -> Add-ins , COM Add-ins , if you tick (select) Sharefile plugin and OK that, next time when you revisit it, its deselected)

In relation to other option...
C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp   is empty on my machine (There is no other Subfolders...and I do have show all hidden files/folders enabled)
Photo of Douglas Goodman

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I gave you the wrong folder, it's actually:
"C:\Users\{{username}}\AppData\Local\Temp\ShareFile Outlook Plug-in"

In the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Malone.AddinModule

LoadBehavior should be set to 3. Can you try closing Outlook, setting that to 3 and then restarting Outlook?
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What I meant to say is that when I go to: 
"C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Temp"  there is no other folders whatsoever ..

have checked Reg key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Malone.AddinModule\LoadBehavior  and its already set to 3
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Douglas,
Do you have any ideas what else to check?
(In the meantime I have remove whole office, removed all subfolders under program files/microsoft office/... , reinstalled Office again, but this has not helped..;( 
Photo of Douglas Goodman

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Andrus,
If the plug-in is not loading when Outlook starts, we need to find out why. The loader logs would be the most helpful. They will indicate the error that is preventing the plug-in from loading. The log files are located here: "C:\Users\{{username}}\AppData\Local\Temp\ShareFile Outlook Plug-in". Can you try enabling the plug-in again and then checking this folder?

If it is still empty, could there be something that is blocking apps from writing to your temp folder? Is there some other folder that is being used as your temp folder? Try opening a file explorer window and navigating to "%temp%". Does that take you to AppData/Local/Temp?

-Doug
Photo of Andrus Starmach

Andrus Starmach

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
hello,
sorry I did change path for system environment "tmp". Now I have found ""ShareFile Outlook Plug-in" folder but have only adxregistrator.log created ...
I have done fresh re-installation and opening Outlook and captured this log which have just sent you via your sharefile.
Photo of Douglas Goodman

• 16 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Andrus - Thanks for sending that file. It indicates that there was no error when registering the add-in with Outlook. But since the add-in isn't loading, the loader log (adxloader.log) may have better data about what causes it to fail to load. Does that file get created after manually enabling the add-in and seeing the error in Outlook? How exactly are you attempting to enable it?