Sharefile performance is SLOW

• Question
  • Updated 1 day ago
I've seen a lot of posts regarding the latency on the sharefile portal but have not yet seen any resolutions.  Has anyone gotten this fixed?  
Photo of Scott White

Scott White

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Ross Bender

Ross Bender

• 81 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
We're also seeing latency with our API calls.
Photo of MMB

MMB

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We are encountering same issues here and it will be very helpful to get this fix.  
Since the issues got communicated to management, this is being monitored.  We are getting a lot of those errors when creating client/folders, and opening folders.
Photo of Brian LeComte

Brian LeComte

• 31 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I can’t say if we had issues today (I was out on vacation) however, since the first of this year we have see major instability in the product and much like yourselves Sr Leadership is beginning to scrutinize the solution. Here is another bug to track: Security Propagation. If your company uses the apply to subfolders choice often, I would HIGHLY suggest reviewing its validity. We have have 5 separate reported instances of ACL bots breaking and stopping security from applying. In some cases the bot issue and the latency occur simultaneously
Photo of YAGP Music

YAGP Music

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had huge issues with subfolders settings not applying when creating new clients in bulk. Extremely annoying to deal with, and very tedious to correct. I now check the whole path every time, but this should not happen, as it can lead to very serious issues.
Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Escalation Engineer

• 170 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi All,

It sounds like there may be a few different situations here. I'd like to start by saying we have recently seen a few delays processing Access Control Inserts (applying folder permissions) and are working to optimize this operation. We hope to see much faster results once these changes are implemented.

As for latency, it would be great to know more information. Is this being seen when performing specific operations or using certain tools?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Kevin,

I work with Scott White the original poster. This issue of intermittent high latency responses happens on several action sets. It's occurred when accessing the child folders API call (from web portal it's self), when viewing a file (from web portal), when assigning folder permissions (including sub folders, haven't noticed slow speeds if it's only one folder) etc.

I have a case open but I was told by support that it couldn't be escalated to the engineering team unless I had waited to take additional screen shots and re-submit them. I escalated my call through the chain and it was still stated that unless one of our users, who is encountering this issue, emails a support rep and waits for a call back (so they can remote control their pc) that this issue can't be escalated.

I asked if they could review logs for this issue and find 408 timeouts or latency on API calls, they stated they checked Splunk logs and found nothing. The manager I spoke with was (Sharefile support manager Sheena)

I am currently running a script for the next 24 hours that logs round trip response time on a Get Children API call to a particular folder and recording request date/time and response time in seconds. If their is anything you can do in the mean time to investigate this issue on our account over the last few months it would be appreciated, else when my script finishes I will find problem times and report back.
Photo of Scott White

Scott White

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Kevin,

I can't speak for the others but we're seeing significant (often more than 60 seconds to open a folder) slowness with the sharefile web portal as well as our proprietary software that uses the sharefile API.  Most of the complaints I've heard from our staff are regarding navigating folders and/or opening files.

My IT team has noticed problems like you described above regarding applying folder permissions.

Photo of jeff fawcett

jeff fawcett

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We have been experiencing the same issues for several weeks now. Often it takes several minutes to open a folder or file.
Photo of Maria Krey

Maria Krey

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I am experiencing the same issues.  My ShareFile account is pretty small, and I'm concerned about ongoing use with anticipated growth.  I have had poor results with contacting support for any issues with this software - my last issue was an inaccessible file a client had uploaded; it took a full week to get a response, and by that time the file had expired and I'd already had to reach out to to the client for another copy.  
Photo of YAGP Music

YAGP Music

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have had these problems for more than a year now... The more files we have, the slower everything gets. By the end of the work year we are at about 60gb, over several thousand files, it gets RIDICULOUSLY SLOW. I'm talking several minutes for a navigation of one folder to its subfolder. Combine extreme slowness with errors, and you get very frustrated. Folder settings and permissions also just bug sometimes, as well as client creation (when creating several client at a time with the excel template, it has happened to me that an error pops up when creating, and when you try again you have fake clients already existing, but not really, so you have to manually delete them all, and do it all over again, praying that no error occurs.
These are very time consuming problems unfortunately.
Photo of Raj

Raj

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have experienced slowness logging onto the web portal and sending files through the outlook addin. Has their been any update from Citrix? 
Photo of Anker

Anker

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Kevin
We are using Citrix files client ver. 5.0.97.0 and accessing files using S-drive and no offilne sync is done.
We observe extremely slow response on multiple computers on both wired and Wireless connections. Windows Explorer simpy becomes unresponsive when navigating through folders and very slow to open even small files.

Please look into this very problematic issue as soon at all possible.
Thank you

atb Anker
Photo of jeff fawcett

jeff fawcett

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ditto. This is not limited to just a few people obviously. As Citrix doing anything about this? We are only using citrix apps, no other special programming.
Photo of YAGP Music

YAGP Music

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same here, 4 months later. I have tried wired, wireless, from Europe, from America, it's overall extremely slow and laggy.
Photo of Brandon Fernald

Brandon Fernald

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Sharefile web portal is HORRIFICALLY slow.  We moved over from Microsoft 365.  Searches that took milliseconds now take 30-60 seconds, at least.  Customer service has been no help at all.  
Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Escalation Engineer

• 170 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hi All,

I touched based on this type of situation previously in another thread which can be found here: https://community.sharefilesupport.com/citrixsharefile/topics/citrix-files-very-slow

I would suggest making sure none of these considerations are variables within your environment and then opening support cases with at least the information requested in my post.

If possible, the most helpful pieces of information that could be provided are a Fiddler trace with HTTPS traffic decrypted along with a video of the trace being captured and the latency being seen. This will allow us to see exactly what is happening and review the API calls being made at that time.
Photo of Ross Bender

Ross Bender

• 81 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Our issues have been related to API calls we are doing from our application. I'm seeing what I can do to gather network traces of traffic.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
In running a script that makes a post request to (https://account.sf-api.com/sf/v3/Items/ContentViewer) with the item id ends in 404 or timeout about (edited) seems to be a bit less frequent than 1 in 30 but is still pretty often, where as a concurrent ping/web request to aws in the same script at same time returns without issue. This is consistent with reports from our users that the web portal and API calls in our app fail to load document viewer documents consistently throughout the day.

No packet loss, t3 t4 timeouts etc on our internet side. This is consistent with other sharefile API endpoint calls i'm making when running an automated script, though it rarely ends in 404 on Get Children or Get Parent, it's more just a very lengthy turnaround sometimes in excess of 5 seconds.

If you require fidder logs I can generate a session trace thats decrypted while running a script for any API call you want to showcase 5-6 second lag spikes on requests, timeouts etc. Let me know.
(Edited)
Photo of Patrick Talloen

Patrick Talloen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We have the same slow performance again since a couple of weeks. Is this a know issue?
Photo of Andrew Finger

Andrew Finger

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I thought it may have been a fluke, but I have noticed my applications using the API running much slower.  A 4 minute process a few weeks ago now takes 9 minutes.