ShareFile Plug-in Autocomplete error

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago

I have had 3 users in the past week getting an error when trying to send a secure message through the Outlook Plug-In.  If they attach a document only and do not have the green encrypt lock on to make the message secure it works.  But if they turn it off, they get the message below.


We found that deleting the config file in the user's C drive>AppData>Local>Sharefile>Outlook Plugin fixed it temporarily.  But after using it again, the message would reappear.


Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.



Photo of Shaylan King

Shaylan King

  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

  • 1
Photo of Kevin Glenn

Kevin Glenn, Senior Technical Support Engineer

  • 122 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Shaylan,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear of the trouble. Based on the error message provided it looks like the tool is having trouble getting the email address for the recipient. Is any sort of special distribution group being used or do Encrypted Emails fail when sending to any email address? A good test is to copy an email address from 3rd party software such as Notepad and paste it directly in to the "To" field in Outlook.

If that doesn't resolve the issue it would be great if you could open a case with our Support team to further investigate the situation. We can be reached at the number 1-800-441-3453 or by opening a ticket in the 'Help' section of the ShareFile website.
Photo of David Prows

David Prows

  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here's some additional information we have found.

This is the error log:


We have found there are some users who can't send an encrypted message to some (not all) other internal users.  We don't typically send encrypted internally, but we do CC internal users (issue is whether sending To or CC'ing).  We have tested with OLP versions 5.1 and 5.2 using Outlook 2013 and 2016 both 32 bit and 64 bit.  We have also tested between windows 10 and server 2008.  We have examined the accounts we know there is an issue with and haven't been able to find a correlation between the user accounts or a difference with the ones that do work.  I will likely be putting in a ticket for this issue as I am not sure what else to look at.

Removing the config file didn't actually fix the issue temporarily as initially thought.  It was just that a different user was used to send a test email to and that user doesn't have the issue.

The error occurs as soon as Outlook switches the email address to the recipients name.
Photo of David Prows

David Prows

  • 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Right after I posted that previous message, I think I found a solution.  I am not sure exactly why.  Cached exchange mode was enabled on the user's machines it was working on.  I enabled it on mine and after the sync completed, encrypted email started working.  I disabled Cached Exchange Mode and it broke again.  So it seems that is the cause, but again, not sure why.