ShareFile Report - per User Storage Consumption

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Dear all,

I started playing with ShareFile Powershell scripting just recently as I need to know how much storage has been consumed by my users, i.e. I need a report showing all my ShareFile employees and there respective storage consumption, maybe including number of items as well.

Example:
User, Consumed Storage, Items
A, 1.2GB, 1.313
B, 245MB, 3
C, 899MB, 201

Is there a way to query ShareFile on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alex
Photo of Alexander Ollischer

Alexander Ollischer

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of DLM

DLM

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm looking for this too.  I called into Support and they did not have an answer.  Surely this is a built in function for their Admin's.  
Photo of Ashlee Burch

Ashlee Burch

• 676 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi,
Are you referring to a report on their individual Personal folder or items under 'Shared Folders'? Currently the storage in 'Shared Folders' would be measured in regards to the folder it is stored in, not the user who uploaded it. 

Alexander Ollischer

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'd like to have a report for every user's invidiual folder, not Shared Folder. But speaking of Shared Folders: is there a report for measuring the amount of storage used in such folders?
Alex
Photo of Ashlee Burch

Ashlee Burch

• 676 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
You can find the reports in the 'Admin>Reporting' section of the account and from there run a "Storage Report" on the account or on the folder.
Photo of DLM

DLM

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

What I needed was a storage report for each ShareFile Employee and the amount of dis space they were using.  There is no report that provides this information.  However, after discussions with support, there is a way to export every single file used by our organization into an Excel spreadsheet and work with that and ultimately get what is needed.  Not sure why this isn't a built in function.

Alexander Ollischer

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yeah, I have to agree with DLM. No built-in function to get this exact kind of information. I was wondering what kind of report you're talking about as I don't find anything similar to what you're saying. Could you pls elaborate.

Alex
(Edited)
Photo of Ashlee Burch

Ashlee Burch

• 676 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
The report I was referring to is the "Storage Report" which can be found under the 'Admin' section of the account. As I explained in my comment to DLM, the storage here is measured by the folder and not the person that actually uploaded the file. In order to view each user's Personal Folder you have to run the report on the whole account. It will show in there under their email address. 

I know it's not the most appealing option, but that's what we've got right now. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Alexander Ollischer

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Dear Ashlee,
thanks for getting back to me. I tried the Storage Report on the whole account and I can see where you are pointing at. When exporting the report in XLS format I can identify the total storage per folder. That's the good thing. Now I'm trying to filter all the data in a way that only top level folders with the corresponding total amount of storage used are shown. Unfortunately filtering the data is no easy task (at least I don't know how to do it) as all lines I'd like to get rid of have preceeding blanks. How do I filter those lines?

Alex
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know this thread has been out there for a while but it doesn't appear that ShareFile has done anything to make the reporting any better in the last 2 years. I figured out an easy way to get this information. If you take the canned account wide storage report and do an A-Z sort on the name column it will group everything with a leading space together. These are all sub folders and files. Select and delete all of these rows. This will leave you with the root level Shared Folders and all Personal Folders. I then duplicated all of the remaining data on a second tab. On the first tab I did a text filter on the Name column "Contains: @" leaving me with only personal folders. On the second tab I did another text filter "Does not contain: @" leaving only root level Shared Folders. Now the data has some relevance.