StorageZone Connector drives web & ShareFile sync access

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago

Just checking if there is a way for users to get to StorageZone Connected on premise CIFs drives via the web browser and Windows ShareFile Sync app?

Currently users can do so via the various mobile apps for Android, iOS etc, but not through the web interface nor the Windows Desktop (not modern UI) Sync app.

For example a user at home running a Mac wants to get to their StorageZone Connected departmental drive to open, edit and save back a document. Editing on mobile devices is good but for substantial editing it's best done from a PC or Mac.

If this functionality isn't currently available is it something the Citrix ShareFile team are looking into?

Photo of Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ashlee Burch

Ashlee Burch

• 676 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,
I've assigned this to one of our Product Managers; currently this option is not offered, but hopefully they can give you some more insight.

Thanks!
Photo of Jay Tomlin

Jay Tomlin, Director, Product Management

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on enabling access to connectors from the ShareFile web site and expect to have that feature enabled in the next few months. The web site will allow upload and download so users can get a doc, edit it and save it back.

Accessing Connectors from the Windows sync client is further out on the radar and we don't have a specific ETA for that at this time.

Hope this helps!  

Jay Tomlin
ShareFile Product Management
Photo of Cindy Fletcher

Cindy Fletcher

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Can we get an update on this feature?  We are holding on our roll-out for this specific feature.  Thank you.
Photo of Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Has there been an update on on-premise StorageZone access through the ShareFile website? We havn't seen any changes as yet.
Photo of Jay Tomlin

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi all, the feature for accessing connectors from the ShareFile website is still under construction and we expect the feature to be available sometime in Q3.

Thanks,
Jay 
Photo of Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Jay. The lack of StorageZone connector access from the ShareFile website & the Windows 8.x modern UI has pretty much left our mobile users with only the option of using a iOS or Andriod device to get at the data on our on-premise CIFs StorageZone. These devices are primarily consumption devices and most of our mobile users have Windows 8.x laptop / tablets. I guess it's back to plugging them into the LAN until there is a website / Windows solution.   The ShareFile team are aware that the Windows 8.x modern UI app does not function with AD single-sign-on correct?
Photo of Marco Di Gregorio

Marco Di Gregorio

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
storagezone Connectors for Windows.

I have a question about the ShareFile StorageZones Controller.
We have a couple Win 8.1 tablets. I have installed the sharefile app from the
store.
When I login, I can't see the connection to the internal network share.
I read from internet that the StorageZone Connectors for Network File
Shares is only available for IOS and Android clients.

Will ShareFile also be available for Win8.1? If yes, when?

Best regards,
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Jay,

This is also a feature we are waiting for. Could you give us an update if this feature comes available?

Regards, Wim
Photo of David Munro

David Munro

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hello,

My company is also interested in this feature. Please let us know availability.

thanks,

David

Photo of Paul Ryan

Paul Ryan

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Providing the necessary security / encryption / sand boxing required for accessing StorageZone Connector CIFS shares via various web browsers and Windows 8 modern UI is probably a monumental task especially with compliance concerns.

As an interim work around it would be useful to easily 'copy' a file from a StorageZone Connector CIFS share into the users 'My Files & Folders' cloud location from within the mobile app so that it can easily be shared out from there. Without having to login to the web browser to manually copy the file that way. Perhaps a 'copy to' button within the mobile app UI? Just an idea
Photo of Tim Norris

Tim Norris

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We're a brand new customer of Sharefile, and the StorageZone connector to Network Shares was one of the selling points that edged out the Citrix competition.  This really needs to be available from a browser and it should really be available on all of the mobile 'App' platforms.

So, it's been a couple of months since this was updated last...Q3 is gone now, are you close to at least the web browser functionality?
(Edited)
Photo of Jay Tomlin

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi all,

Sincere apologies for the delay. We still plan to enable web access to connectors but due to a number of factors the feature release is taking longer than originally expected. Thanks everyone for your interest and patience--your feedback keeps this one high on the priority list. 

Once we have identified a high-confidence release date, I'll chime in again on this thread to let you know. For now the best info I have is that web access will likely not ship until sometime in 2015. 

Regards,
Jay
Photo of Thomas Berchtenbreiter

Thomas Berchtenbreiter

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Jay,

we are also interested, using Storage Zone Connector feature with Web Browser and Windows 8.1 App. So, any updates yet? We ́re using the feature on our ios devices and it works great, but we want to rollout some Windows 8.1 tablet devices to be more flexible with specific software in the future. But we also want to use this feature of sharefile. Please keep us informed.
Thanks and best regards,
Thomas
Photo of Jay Tomlin

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Web access to CIFS and SharePoint connectors is now in limited availability. This means you can request to have the feature activated for your account. To support web access to connectors, you'll need to upgrade your StorageZones Controller to version 3.0 and then send an email to support@sharefile.com asking them to enable the feature on your ShareFile subdomain.

Also if you are using a NetScaler as part of your deployment, there are some configuration changes required to support web access documented here: 
http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/sharefile-storagezones-30/sf-deploy-cfg-netscaler-wizard.ht...

(Please note that checkin/checkout for SharePoint documents is not yet available when using the web site to access SharePoint document libraries.)

The ShareFile app for Windows 8.1 tablets does not yet support Connectors, but users on those devices could use a browser with the web access feature enabled. 

Jay
Photo of Mark Allen

Mark Allen

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Jay

Is this functionality live now?

The reason I ask is that I have emailed sharefilesupport twice now asking for the feature to be switched on and not received a reply to either email.

It would be nice to know one way or the other.

Thanks

Photo of Jay Tomlin

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yes Mark, if you would email me your account information I'll follow up with support and get this enabled for you:

jay.tomlin (at) citrix.com
Photo of Ashlee Burch

Ashlee Burch

• 676 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi Guys,
I found the ticket in Support and replied to Mark. Mark, the feature should be on for your account now.
Photo of David Munro

David Munro

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Jay,
Could you enable this feature for our account as well please? I will email our account information.
thanks,
David
Photo of Ian Malish

Ian Malish

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the web access to Cifs shares.
Would there be an update on this piece.. 
"Accessing Connectors from the Windows sync client is further out on the radar and we don't have a specific ETA for that at this time."

Is it coming along? :) 

Thanks
Photo of Etienne coppin

Etienne coppin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

This is a most wanted feature : enabling Windows full Sharefile client to sync datas from existing CIFS shares.

Second question : Is there any chance to see also Sharefile product coming as a virtual Appliance for full private cloud deployement like this product http://www.infrascale.com/file-sharing/#tab-id-4

Thanks for your feedback

Photo of Sebastian Mair

Sebastian Mair

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Any News on this? enabling Windows full Sharefile client to sync datas from existing CIFS shares.

We need this because Owncloud had this feature already, but we want to use Sharefile.

kind Regards,

Sebastian
Photo of Simon Shu

Simon Shu

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Storage zone web upload and download it way too complicate for users to use, they often mess up the files, there should be a sync client or some sort for easy access.
We waited for 2 years for the sync client and end up only web client and no ETA for the sync client, too bad my company cannot wait any longer and need to look for other solution. 
Photo of Charles Paumelle

Charles Paumelle

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Point.io, a ShareFile partner have built a sync solution for StorageZones. You can contact them via www.point.io/citrixsharefile for more details
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is this still an issue or has this been resolved?
Photo of Jay Tomlin

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Have a look at the new ShareFile Desktop client for Windows: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/ShareFile/all_files/SF180011 

It supports Connectors access in a native Windows user interface. 
Photo of Arjan Heuvelman

Arjan Heuvelman

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jay, thanks for sharing this. However, I'd like to share 2 suggestions. The new Desktop client is a nice tool, but I'm wondering why Citrix has build a separate tool, in addition to the Sync client. Our users like it to use one tool (the Sync client). It would be nice that syncing with Connectors will be made available in the Sync client. Next, the offline access functionality in the Desktop Client is not yet perfect. You have to download an offline marked file. So, if you want to edit the file, you are working on a copy of the original one. The offline file functionality should be work in the same way as in the mobile app and Sync client.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Jay.  Looking at that same site (http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/sharefile/all_files/SF020006 ), under Sharefile for Android, I didn't notice any reference to the new Network Shares option.  Is this automatically available once a connector is configured?  Any updated documentation on this piece?
Photo of Jay Tomlin

• 31 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yes, network share and SharePoint connectors appear automatically in the Android client once they are configured. 

See also: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/ShareFile/help_files/SF090004?Title=StorageZone+Connectors 
Photo of Paul Waller

Paul Waller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Jay. I notice that StorageZone Connector documentation (http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/storagezones-controller/3/sf-manage-connectors.html) now states the following "By default, connector browsing is disabled for the ShareFile web interface. To enable connector browsing, go to Advanced Preferences." However when I look to do this on my SZC (with the latest v3.3 installed) I am unable to find the option to enable connector browsing in web interface. please could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Photo of Ian Malish

Ian Malish

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Paul you need to call ShareFile support to enable it.  At least that's what they did for me today?  :)

Then clicking on the Network Share under connectors will work.
Photo of Paul Waller

Paul Waller

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Ian. I'll contact them today.