Suppress File Versioning when files are checked out to minimize "Saves" creating new versions

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
Ideally, when a file is checked out and you have file versioning, everytime you save the file when working locally with Sync, a new version is created. This creates a lot of unnecessary versions. I save a lot (Microsoft best practice:)) and all the versions created have very little value. Only need a new version at check in.
Photo of Stephen Rosenberger

Stephen Rosenberger

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Keith Moore

Keith Moore

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree and some software does file delete and file write in the background as a part of their normal save operations which can also cause a lot of 'versions' with ShareFile. If we ever get automatic Check in / Check out with file open / close, this could keep the versioning relevant.

Stephen Rosenberger

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

I like your suggestion Keith. Automatic Checkout/in with file open/close makes a lot of sense (when using Sync) to only store relevant versions. The 24 hour rule for checkouts creates some complicating scenarios, i.e., what happens when the user doesn't close the document and the 24 hours has passed? Then someone else is free to open and edit while the first user still has un-sync'd content. Accordingly, checkout should remain active until the user closes the file.
Photo of Prabhat Tyagi

Prabhat Tyagi, Director, Product Engineering

• 188 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Ack. Thanks for the feedback. 

In general, the intent is to save the file as soon as it's updated to prevent any data loss (like in case say the user forgets to check in the file). Though we can provide an option with Citrix Files for Windows and Citrix Files for Mac which can be toggled by admin and/or user, which can be used to enforce saving only when the file is checked in or on schedule.  

I will discuss this further with team, and we will look into it. 

Cheers
Prabhat Tyagi

Stephen Rosenberger

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the response Prabhat.

There's a balance between the risk of data loss and the useful relevance of very similar saved versions of files with no way to differentiate between them and the most important older files potentially falling off the File Versioning set limit.

Personally, I save frequently because I work on Windows;-) and I'm always concerned with Word or Excel crashing, although admittedly, that is much less a risk these days. If you use autosave, that even makes matters worse, as far as maintaining only relevant copies.  

In my opinion, the risk of data loss is primarily the responsibility of the end user and their diligence in checking out and back in documents in most document management systems (I know you aren't a pure DM solution). In general, no one should go more than 24 hours without backing up a file.

Thanks again for looking into this further and feel free to bounce ideas off me.
Photo of Keith Moore

Keith Moore

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Our risk of data loss could be resolved with the automatic check out / check in. I have found that very few of my users go through the trouble of manually checking out the files before opening them, and I have to resort to the versioning to restore the 'loser' or 'first to save'. We then have to merge their work back into the current version of the file. That's assuming someone catches the data loss.