Windows Explorer Interface to Stream File to custom WinForm application

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
I have been tasked with integrating ShareFile into one of our winform desktop apps.  The integration would allow a user to select a file from sharefile (xls or csv) and stream it into our app without saving to disk. 

Some of this data contains PII so the idea is NOT to store the data on the users local computer. 

I have downloaded the SDK, generated an API key and have successfully streamed a file from the Sharefile API.  The component I'm missing is a windows-explorer like interface within our app that allows the user to select a file from sharefile.  What is the recommended approach for enabling this functionality within our winform desktop app?  Is there a control available from sharefile that I can use?
Photo of Brian Marks

Brian Marks

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Luke Skrzypek

Luke Skrzypek, Employee

• 27 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, we do not have any file picker controls available. However, you can use the Items controller (either via api calls, or our sdk) to populate a file picker interface of your own.
The "Get Item by ID" would be a good starting point to get the top level of folders, and then drill down from there as needed.
Photo of Ross Bender

Ross Bender

• 49 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Just curious, how are you streaming the file via the API? Are you using the "Download Item Content" API and then downloading the file via the 302 redirect URL?